Between the Tony Awards and the Apple Keynote Address things have been borderline hectic around these parts. I know, the excitement knows no boundaries…
We still have four (or less!) weeks to go and I’ve turned into a total watched tea kettle. I’m never going to boil at this rate.
So since we have a little extra time before the blog becomes one giant baby face picture after another let’s talk about some of the more practical items that have helped me survive the last nine months…
1. Starbucks Cold Cups - If pregnant women had a security blanket it would look a whole lot like a Starbucks Cold Cup. We have six of these, three in the 24 oz size and they’re on constant rotation. I don’t know what it is about drinking through a straw, but it makes that gallon of water (what to the what?!) I’m supposed to be drinking each day more bearable.
2. Body Butter, Oil, Lotion, Crisco – For the sake of your skin, now is the time to lather up. I have no idea if it really helps avoid stretch marks (we’ve reached three on the SM count over here, ugh) but I can tell you it helps prevent the nasty dry skin itch. I’ve gone through many, MANY jars of body moisturizer in the past few months and this one from The Body Shop is a fast favorite. I received it as a gift and the first day I used it Ryan asked what that AMAZING smell was. What’s that? Did my husband just ask his nine month pregnant wife if she smelled delicious. Don’t judge, when you reach nine months you’ll take any compliment you can get. Plus it is affordable enough that you can coat every limb and not feel guilty at all.
3. Hipster Undies – Yes, we’re going to talk about my underwear. Why? Because I don’t know what I would have done without these gems. These stretchy, non fading, generous coverage briefs hold all your growing assets (ahem) and are absolutely comfy enough to wear all day, and night, and the next day… depending on your showering schedule.
4. Toms or other Slip Ons – Forget anything that has to be tied, you’re not going to want to make the effort. Heels? Sure, maybe for fifteen minutes… then those beauties are definitely getting left behind. I’ve found that Toms are a perfect fit for the pregnant foot. They slip on easy, have a bit of padding in the bottom and are soft enough that when you come home and crash on the couch you can totally fall asleep without reaching down to pull them off. I’ve been making the most of my snow leopard pair from winter, but how AMAZING are these Giraffe ones?
5. Body Pillow, Extra Pillow, More Pillows – After five months you’re going to want to feel like you fell into a jar of cotton balls when you go to bed. Trust me, the more pillows the better – between your legs, under your stomach, behind your back, everywhere. I have a whole new appreciation for our king sized bed too, it allows both of us and my army of pillows to fit. Feeling fancy? Try this fun body pillow cover!
6. Pocket Tissue – Say what? Just trust me, you’re going to want some tissues. Usually, when you least expect it. I don’t know which of the 500 pregnancy hormones affects your nose, but one of them does and not in a good way. One minute it’s dry, the next minute running like crazy, you wake up and it’s bleeding. Seriously, this has got to be worse than having a nose job. Plus things in your nose start to drive you nuts. Maybe it is preparation for when you’re going to have to worry about someone else’s snot? Either way – pack some tissues.
So there you have it – six goodies that have aided in keeping me (and Ryan) sane over the last nine months. What would be on your list? Any “must haves” for postpartum?
I’m all ears,